Development and Communications Support
About Mary’s Pence
Mary's Pence is a faith based feminist organization inspired by Catholic Social Teachings. Believing we are each called to make the world a better place, we support women in the Americas through both social and economic development. Our annual budget is approximately $500,000. Approximately 90% of our funds come from individual donors. Mary’s Pence has a staff of 7, two full time and two part time people locally, and three staff members in Latin America. The St. Joseph Worker will work closely with the Development and Communications Liaison and with the Executive Director, other staff and volunteers. Learn more about Mary’s Pence at www.maryspence.org.
Outreach and Communications
o Create and support creation of content for social media efforts on our blog, Twitter, and Facebook. Manage visuals and messaging to highlight Mary’s Pence work and mission.
o Create and support creation of written materials, including direct mail, emails, and newsletters, including interviewing and writing articles about grantees and/or writing blogs.
o Reviewing and tracking photo and video content received, identifying items for use, possible editing projects.
o Periodically assist in planning and overseeing donor or outreach events, such as open house during art crawl, and public workshops/events.
o Assist Development Liaison in managing donor mailings throughout calendar cycle.
Mary’s Pence Grants Selection Committee
o Serve as a committee member that reviews grants applications and selects grantees.
Assist with Public Relations Outreach
o Track news relevant to Mary’s Pence in the local area in order to identify reporters and news outlets Mary’s Pence can connect to for Public Relations.
o Create and support creation of Press packets and press releases.
o Research Grant Prospects for Mary’s Pence funding.
o Assist the Development Liaison in managing the grant writing process.
o Past special projects performed by SJWs at Mary’s Pence include writing a history of the ESPERA community lending program, managing the collection of archives, attending the School of the Americas vigil with Mary’s Pence staff, helping to design our calendar of inspirational women/annual report, managing events for younger donors/volunteers.
Mary’s Pence is a small but very active, creative office. There will be many opportunities to participate or manage special projects as they arise. We want to make this experience engaging for the SJW and will involve them in projects based on their interests and desired areas(s) of growth.
Knowledge and Experience
· Excellent communication skills, including written, face to face interaction, and public speaking.
· Ability to plan and implement work with an eye to how each project supports the mission and vision of Mary’s Pence.
· Computer proficiency. Experience with DonorPerfect (donor database) Constant Contact (group email) and Contribute (web update interface) helpful.
· Bi-lingual in English / Spanish is a plus, but not required.
· Bachelors Degree or commensurate life experience.
Values and Work Style
· Creative and self-motivated, enjoys bringing new ideas to the organization.
· Passion for social justice, particularly women’s issues in the U.S., Latin America and the Caribbean.
· Comfortable with diversity – age, political views, faiths, etc.
· Highly organized, self-motivated and able to manage multiple and complex projects. Organized and diligent about record-keeping and administration while setting and meeting deadlines.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively with Development and Communications Liaison, Executive Director, and volunteers.
· Flexible working style, willing to give and take, willing to flex to the tasks needed, including administrative tasks. Comfortable in a low budget, “everyone pitches in” environment.
Hours are between 9am-5pm Monday through Friday, exact times are flexible. Periodically we participate in evening events, or do outreach at conference in other parts of the country, and the St. Joseph Worker may have some opportunity to participate.