I Have a Dream Foundation College and Career AmeriCorps Member- Milwaukee
Role and Responsibilities
- Mentor students on a regular basis. Focus on developing relationships with students, managing an assigned caseload (approximately 15-25 Dreamers). Act as a positive role model and provide personal guidance.
- Plan and lead group sessions, volunteer activities, and workshops, focusing on students’ needs in academics, socio-emotional support and career development
- Develop college and career awareness and job training activities for students; helping to create meaningful job and internship opportunities.
- Help find and promote scholarships to eligible students. Support with understanding of eligibility criteria, applications, and advocate for students
- Assist in collecting student persistence data as it relates to grants, donor reports, and internal reporting
- In collaboration with the Program Manager and partnering organization, support planning and facilitation of College and Career programs and events.
- In collaboration with Program Manager, develop programming and provide support for “Pipeline Dreamer”, participants who are not enrolled in college, and unemployed or under employed
- Connect with college offices to strengthen partnerships and collaborate with experts and partners from the local community to organize events for FAFSA support, COVID-19 relief support, scholarships, internship and job opportunities, and other supportive offerings to Dreamers and their Families
- Support in outreach to Dreamer’s families and connect Dreamer’s families to community resources including, employment, food, housing, etc.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
To be eligible to serve as an AmeriCorps Member, one must be at least 17 years of age;
be a U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien; and have a high school diploma or GED.
NDMVA prefers that members be at least 21 years of age.
Selection Criteria: We are seeking self-motivated, compassionate applicants who enjoy working with
young people and diverse individuals, including Dreamers, their families, “I Have A Dream” staff and
sponsors, college administrators, and members of the community. A bachelor’s degree
and/or equivalent experience in education or human services is preferred. A
clear driving record and a vehicle are required.